Friday 22 July 2011

The Perfume Diaries!

I'm a bit of a perfume addict, and nothing cheers me up more than a wander round a beauty hall sniffing the latest olfactory delights.  I'm quite spoilt locally, as I have a good Debenhams for mid-range, popular scents, Superdrug for bargains and celebrity scents, and the gorgeous Williams & Griffin (Willie Gee's to locals!) department store for high-end labels such as Acqua Di Parma, Creed and Floris.


I popped into Debenhams today after finishing work a bit early, and as I hadn't been there in a while there were quite a few new scents to check out. 

 My eyes were drawn to the latest Fendi offering, Fan Di Fendi, which has the most lustworthy bottle.  I love the Fendi logo anyways, so this is like heaven to me...
As far as bottles go it's an absolute stunner, weighty, expensive looking, fabulous.  However I sniffed with trepidation as as my only previous experience of Fendi fragrances was with Palazzo, which to me smelt like Raid fly spray (sorry Fendi!!!).   But I was pleasantly surprised as the perfume itself reminds me a little of The One by Dolce & Gabbana which is a fave of mine, so if you love that I'd say this is right up your street.

Now I'm not great at describing smells so bear with me here...it's fruity but oriental at the same time.  It starts off smelling quite aquatic and fresh which put me off at first as I'm not a fan of aquatic fragrances (I was a teen of the 90s and they remind me of a time when everyone at my school drenched themselves in CkBe and Tommy Girl knockoffs!).  However a few hours on, and it smells very fruity with a vanilla base.  It's definately got lasting power, which is something I always look for in a fragrance given that they are so blimmin' dear!

Fragrantica describes it as...

"Top notes: Pear, tangerine, black currant
Heart: Damascus rose, yellow jasmine, Indian tuberose
Base notes: patchouli, leather"
I can't smell the patchouli or leather on me at all, which is a shame as I love a leather note (good example - Kelly Caleche by Hermes).  Nor can I smell rose, another favourite of mine.

I have to say, I'm not mad on this.  It's a beautiful fragrance, but I can't say I've fallen in love with it (I know I've fallen for a fragrance when I walk out of Debenhams with my nose glued to my arm!  And this didn't happen sadly.).  Still that bottle really has me torn.  I'd be tempted to buy it just to have such a beautiful bottle on my dresser.  Has anyone ever bought a perfume purely because they loved the bottle?

I also had another sniff of the Juicy Couture perfumes, having fallen in love with Viva La Juicy and the original fragrance after smelling them on a Juicy-obsessed colleague.  The original Juicy Couture is is a beautiful fragrance, and it's opening notes smell so juicy and fruity they actually make me feel thirsty for a smoothie!  After the juicy-ness wears off it smells beautifully floral and sophisticated, and is, I feel, a gorgeous easy scent for daytime.


Here's what Fragrantica says...

"The top notes reveal pleasant freshness of watermelon, mandarin, pink passion fruit, green leaves, water hyacinth and marigold flowers.

The heart brings with it charming notes of tuberose, lily, and wild rose, while the base unites notes of caramels, powdery vanilla, creme brulee, patchouli and woods."
So it's definately one to avoid if you hate sweet fragrances!

My only bugbear with this one is it's lack of longevity, something widely griped about on Makeupalley.  This literally lasts about an hour and a half on me and then I only get very faint whiffs of it or have to smell my wrist up close.  This really disappoints me and is probably why I am in two minds about buying.  For me one of the highlights of wearing perfume is getting a whiff of it every now and again as you go about your day.

Whilst I was perusing the Juicy display, I noticed that they had a gift set with four 15ml or so sized sprays of their four fragrances, Viva La Juicy, Juicy Couture, Couture Couture and Peace, Love & Juicy Couture, all in a gorgeous Juicy gift box.  This was about £40 and I have to say I was quite tempted, mainly because I love Viva La Juicy and Juicy Couture in equal measure.  I am not sure if this is a Debenhams exclusive, apologies for not getting pictures!

Anyway, thank you for reading my perfume digression.  As always I'd love to hear your views and what perfumes are currently rocking your universe right now...

Lucy x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...