Friday 22 July 2011

Celebrity Fragrances - and a funny feeling of deja vu...

Courtesy of E! online

Whilst in Debenhams I also spotted the Kim Kardashian fragrance, which I'd heard so much about through watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians.  I love these ladies, they're beautiful, stylish and a giggle so I was keen to see what Kim had come up with.  To be honest I'd love to look like Kim, but I'll have to settle with smelling like her for now :-(

"a fragrance constructed of luminous, sweet opening notes, intoxicating, floral middle notes and sensual, sexy aromas in a base. An opening includes refreshing notes of mandarin surrounded with floral-lemon honeysuckle and orange blossom, while a heart blooms with pink jasmine, tuberose, gardenia and spices. A base is created of warm, gentle Tonka, jacaranda wood, vanilla orchid, sexy musk and creamy sandalwood" Courtesy of Amazon
Now that may be all well and good, but this remind me a lot of Michael Kors' beautiful eponimous scent (albeit not as spicy), and many others in the blogging world and on MakeUpAlley have spotted this too.  It wouldn't surprise me if Kim had indeed been inspired by this as apparently the Kardashian ladies and their mum Kris Jenner all adore this fragrance.  Kris has apparently called it her signature scent.  Which got me to thinking that there were a few other celebrity scents I'd smelled which reminded me a lot of others...

Katie Price's Stunning is very similar to Christian Dior's Miss Dior Cherie.  Oh the contrast between la Price and Miss Dior Cherie's "face" Natalie Portman!

Paris Hilton's Fairy Dust smells very much like the original Juicy Couture perfume, except that it is not as juicy and it's drydown smells very cheap.  Which you probably would expect for the £10 it costs really.  However, it does last longer than Juicy.

Shh... by Jade Goody is a beautiful (I think so anyway) fragrance in it's own right.  I adore it and it will always be one of my favourites.  Indeed I came across this when I smelt it on the lady serving me in Superdrug one morning and had to swallow my shyness to ask her what fragrance she wore (such is the power of scent!!!).  But, it reminds me a little of Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle (oh the irony!)

I don't think this is shameless copying by the celebs at all, more a case of the original scents in question being such classics that they inspire similar scents.  These scents are classics because their notes work so well together (a bit like a breton top, jeans and ballet flats), so it's inevitable that the the combinations of notes will crop up time and time again.

What I like about the celebrity fragrances is that their quality gets better by the day and the fact that these scents are so similar to more expensive, established fragrances means that the younger buyer they tend to attract builds a really good solid knowledge of good scents.  If a little girl buying Stunning or Shh... as her first fragrance goes on to buy Coco Mademoiselle or Miss Dior Cherie when she's older that can only be a good thing right?!

The other thing I like about these fragrances is that they are usually cheaper and I can buy a scent I enjoy without splashing out tons.  I really like the Kim Kardashian perfume and at a purse-friendly £23 for 30ml (that's in Debenhams, you'd probably get a bigger bottle for a lot less on Cheap Smells) I can buy something that smells a lot like Michael Kors without shelling out £40.  Also, I'm very fickle when it comes to perfume and chop and change my scent all the time, so this is a much more economical way of enjoying great scents.

I have to say that I used to be a complete snob when it came to celebrity fragrances but a few really changed my mind.  These were the classic Britney Spears Fantasy, With Love by Hilary Duff (a beautiful vanilla-y, musky fragrance, which you can pick up for a pittance on clearance websites) and Shh... by Jade Goody.  If you love fragrances like me you couldn't go wrong with adding these three to your "fragrance wardrobe".

Please let me know which celebrity fragrances you love in the commenty box!

Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...